On Wednesday, Kellyanne Conway, a former senior adviser to Donald Trump, stated that she would refuse to resign from a military position, forcing President Joe Biden to fire her.
Conway made the statement after Biden gave her until 6 p.m. Wednesday to resign or be fired.
“I will let others evaluate whether they think Kellyanne Conway, and Sean Spicer and others were qualified, or not political, to serve on these boards, but the President’s qualification requirements are not your party registration, they are whether you’re qualified to serve and whether you’re aligned with the values of this administration,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.
Conway made it apparent in a letter that she shared to Twitter that she does not share the administration’s principles, complaining about Biden’s poll numbers, the spike in COVID cases, jobs, inflation, drugs, and Afghanistan.
“I’m not resigning, but you should,” Conway defiantly wrote.
President Biden, I'm not resigning, but you should. pic.twitter.com/HuRYM4bLYP
— Kellyanne Conway (@KellyannePolls) September 8, 2021
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted at Conway, “Don’t let the fascist victim complex hit you on the way out,” on Wednesday.
A predictable, if not unfortunate, outcome. Clinging onto vestiges of power against the people’s will is kind of your /Trump’s / the GOP’s thing.
When you’re fired, don’t let the fascist victim complex hit you on the way out. 👋🏽 https://t.co/YmsoFmvaPv
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) September 8, 2021
The White House Office of Presidential Personnel had addressed letters to former officials of the Trump administration earlier in the day, requesting them to resign from advisory and visitor’s boards at the US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, and US Air Force Academy. Those who refused to resign would be fired.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW...
Conway, former press secretary Sean Spicer, and former national security adviser H.R. McMaster were among those asked to go.
Conway was a divisive member of Donald Trump’s administration until she resigned in August 2020, claiming family obligations.
Her husband, George T. Conway III, a conservative lawyer and ardent Trump opponent, also stepped down from the Lincoln Project, a Republican outside group dedicated to defeating Trump in November. He will also take a break from Twitter, which he has frequently used to criticize the former one-term president.
Conway described her tenure in Trump’s administration as “heady” and “humbling,” and said she and George made the decision based on what they believe is best for their four children.
“We disagree about plenty,” she wrote of herself and her husband, “but we are united on what matters most: the kids. Our four children are teens and ‘tweens starting a new academic year in middle school and high school that will be conducted remotely from home for at least a few months. As millions of parents nationwide know, kids ‘doing school from home’ requires a level of attention and vigilance that is as unusual as these times.”
Conway then added: “This is completely my choice and my voice. In time, I will announce future plans. For now, and for my beloved children, it will be less drama, more mama.”
Conway’s high school daughter had made headlines for her political tweets regarding her parents.