On Monday, Donald Trump continued to defend his decision to assassinate Iran’s top General Qassem Soleimani. This time around Trump contended that Soleimani posed an impending threat to the United States but then went on to add that whether he was an imminent threat was not important given the military leader’s history.
“The Fake News Media and their Democrat Partners are working hard to determine whether or not the future attack by terrorist Soleimani was ‘imminent’ or not, & was my team in agreement.” Trump posted it to Twitter.
He then added, “the answer to both is a strong YES., but it doesn’t really matter because of his horrible past!”
Ever since Trump announced that General Qassem Soleimani had been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad, both Trump and his administration have repeatedly claimed that their actions were a result of an imminent threat of attacks on American diplomats as well as U.S. military members on the ground in Iraq and throughout the region.
Questions have been raised by Democrats as well as a few Republicans about the justification of the attacks. They have also voiced anger over the Trump administration’s failure to give “a real” briefing on the drone strike.
Trump stated during an interview last week that Iran had plans to attack four American embassies before Soleimani’s assassination back on January 3. However, on Sunday, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper stated that he has seen no evidence that Iran was planning any such attacks.
“What the president said was that there probably could be additional attacks against embassies. I shared that view,” Esper said. “The president didn’t cite a specific piece of evidence.”
When Esper was asked if intelligence officers offered him any concrete evidence on that point Esper replied: “I didn’t see one with regards to four embassies.”