House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office says it caught Kevin McCarthy in the act of accidentally revealing his extreme MAGA agenda on the House Republicans “Commitment to America” website. Pelosi shared McCarthy’s error in a statement on her official Speaker of the House government website.
“OOPS. Looks like Leader McCarthy fumbled his agenda rollout by accidentally posting the webpage of House Republicans’ “Commitment to America” – and then scrambled to password protect the website again… but not before we got screenshots,” Pelosi wrote.
She added, “Screenshots that reveal that House Republicans are doubling down on an extreme MAGA agenda: to criminalize women’s health care, to slash seniors’ Medicare (including with the repeal of the lower drug prices for seniors in the Inflation Reduction Act), and to attack our democracy.”
Pelosi went on to state that GOP MAGA House members were already on record with their plans to pass laws to ban abortions in all 50 states.
She then listed how the GOP House members planned on doing that.
- 166 House Republicans, including GOP Whip Scalise and Chair Stefanik, have co-sponsors a “Life Begins at Conception” bill that would use the 14th Amendment to criminalize all abortion after the moment of fertilization, with absolutely no exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the woman.
- 179 House Republicans have co-sponsored or endorsed as members of the Republican Study Committee a bill to criminalize abortion nationwide after six weeks, before most women even know they are pregnant, with no exceptions for rape or incest, explicitly punishable by 5-year sentences in federal prison for doctors.
- 205 House Republicans voted in support of arresting, finding or suing women for traveling across state lines to obtain an abortion.
- 195 House Republicans voted against the fundamental right to contraception.
- 210 House Republicans voted against restoring the fundamental rights that women had for almost 50 years under Roe v. Wade, with the Women’s Health Protection Act.
Pelosi continued by pointing out that the radical MAGA Commitment to America vows to undo the lower medicine prices Democrats secured for senior citizens in the United States as part of the Inflation Reduction Act, transferring hundreds of billions of dollars back to Republicans’ allies in Big Pharma.
Meanwhile, a sizable majority of House Republicans have made explicit calls for going much further and dismantling Social Security and Medicare:
- 158 out of 212 House Republicans, including top GOP leadership Members Whip Scalise and Chair Stefanik, have called for slashing and privatizing Social Security, raising the retirement age to 70 and ending Medicare as we know it as part of the Republican Study Committee FY2023 budget.
- Top GOP Senator Rick Scott continues to push Senate Republicans’ plan to terminate Social Security and Medicare after five years.
- Senior GOP Senator Ron Johnson called for putting Social Security and Medicare on the chopping block for Republicans to slash at will every year.
- 193 House Republicans voted against limiting seniors’ and families’ co-pay for insulin to $35 per month, with the Affordable Insulin Now Act.
Pelosi wrapped up her statement with, ” Incredibly, Republicans’ Extreme MAGA “Commitment to America” continues to explicitly sow doubts about the legitimacy of legally-cast ballots, fanning baseless suspicion about early voting. Their extreme agenda also pledges to make it harder for Americans to vote, purge eligible voters from the rolls, give extreme MAGA state legislature extreme MAGA state legislatures absolute power to change the rules of elections at a whim, and help insert extreme MAGA allies to disrupt polling places and vote-counting, in order to help MAGA politicians invent a basis to overturn the results of elections they don’t like.”