On Wednesday afternoon, Melania Trump revealed in an essay she shared on social media that her 14-year-old son Barron has tested positive for COVID-19.
Melania shared that Barron has not displayed any symptoms.
According to White House doctors both Melania and Donald Trump have tested negative for the novel coronavirus. They both tested positive for the virus earlier this month.
“Naturally, my mind went immediately to our son,” Melania wrote. Barron was tested after his parents tested positive and his results came back negative. However, the teenager was tested again and this time his results were positive.
On Wednesday, Donald Trump told reporters that Barron was doing “fine” when he was asked about Melania’s essay.
Melania also wrote about her symptoms writing that they were “minimal” though she adds they hit her all at once. She added, “it seemed to be a roller coaster of symptoms in the days after.”
She wrote that she suffered from body aches, cough, headaches, and was extremely fatigued.
Melania quarantined at the White House and unlike her husband did not need to be hospitalized.
“I encourage everyone to continue to live the healthiest life they can. A balanced diet, fresh air, and vitamins really are vital to keep our bodies healthy. For your complete well-being, compassion and humility are just as important in keeping our minds strong. For me personally, the most impactful part of my recovery was the opportunity to reflect on many things—family, friendships, my work, and staying true to who you are,” Melania wrote.
She also wrote that she did not opt for the same treatment as Donald Trump. She says that she “chose a more natural route,” relying on “vitamins and healthy food,” instead of a cocktail of medications.
Melania added that Barron is a “strong teenager,” and that she was “glad the three of us went through this at the same time so we could take care of one another and spend time together.”
You can read her entire essay here.