An Arizona woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, has spoken out about her husband’s death from ingesting an aquarium cleaner.
The husband and wife, both in their later 60s, ingested an aquarium cleaner which had the same drug in it that Donald Trump has touted as a preventative of the coronavirus.
On Monday the wife spoke to NBC News about her husband’s death and urged the public not to “take anything” or “believe anything” without talking with a healthcare professional.
“We saw Trump on TV — every channel — and all of his buddies and that this was safe,” the woman said. “Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure.”
According to a report by NBC NEWS the man, 68, took chloroquine to prevent getting the coronavirus. It is still unclear exactly how much of the cleaner the man ingested. The man and his wife put the cleaner into a drink and drank it. Within a half of an hour from ingesting they had to seek medical attention. The man died and at the time his wife was in critical condition.
The drug chloroquine is used to treat malaria, but health experts state that there is no conclusive evidence that it is effective against the coronavirus.
Despite health officials stating there is no evidence it prevents the coronavirus Donald Trump continues to falsely claim that the drug is a “powerful” treatment for COVID-19. Trump also falsely claimed that the drug had been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
“It’s shown very encouraging — very, very encouraging early results,” Trump said last week. “And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that’s where the FDA has been so great. They — they’ve gone through the approval process; it’s been approved. And they did it, they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So, we’re going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states.”
Shortly after Trump made the comments the FDA stated that it had not approved chloroquine for the coronavirus and that much more research had to be done.
“Did you at any point hear that the FDA had not approved of it for coronavirus purposes?” NBC News asked the woman.
“Yeah,” she said. “But, you know, they kept saying that it was approved for other things.”
When asked if she had a message, she’d like to give to other Americans she said, “Oh my God, don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people … call your doctor.”
“Please educate the people,” she added. “It feels like my heart is broken and it’ll never mend. It’s just broke, dead. Like my husband. My husband is 68. We’re healthy. No underlying — no diabetes or lung issues. Nothing.”
Vaughn Hillyard of NBC News posted audio of the interview on Twitter.
NBC: Yeah. How much did you, how much did you consume would you say?
Patient: One teaspoon each.
Hillyard: That’s all?
Hillyard: Did he die while you were with him?
— Vaughn Hillyard (@VaughnHillyard) March 24, 2020